Prepared by more than 100 authors from 36 countries and referencing more than 7,000 scientific publications, today was published by the IPCC their last report for 2019 called "Special report on the ocean and the cryosphere in a changing climate". It explains the benefits to keep the global temperature as low as possible. This not only in favor of the different ecosystems but also for life in general, due to the importance of the oceans and the cryosphere on the climate. With the new data it seeks to increase our resilience and to face future challenges in a better way, explaining the risks and challenges that changes in climate present to life on earth. Options are also presented in the face of changes that are already unavoidable, exposing the dependence on available resources and the capacity of people and communities to adapt.
Ko Barrett, Vice President of the IPCC said: “The world’s ocean and cryosphere have been ‘taking the heat’ from climate change for decades, and consequences for nature and humanity are sweeping and severe”, “The rapid changes to the ocean and the frozen parts of our planet are forcing people from coastal cities to remote Arctic communities to fundamentally alter their ways of life”, “By understanding the causes of these changes and the resulting impacts, and by evaluating options that are available, we can strengthen our ability to adapt”, “The Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate provides the knowledge that facilitates these kinds of decisions.”
This report is a fundamental contribution to be taken into account by designers and decision makers, as it should be noted that according to the United Nations around 10% of the world's population lives less than 10 meters above sea level, while around 40% lives less than 100km off the coast. Likewise, around 12% of the world's population lives near the mountains which also provide around 40% of irrigation on land and between 80% and 100% of river currents. Therefore, it can be said that around 52% of the world's population is directly affected by changes in the oceans and cryosphere, and the remaining 48% is indirectly affected, making this a report of extreme importance since changes in these zones affect all life on earth.